Thursday, January 16, 2014

Marriage R.O.C.K.S. part 5


Happily every after is guaranteed to no one.  The person you married is not the same person you will be with
five years after the wedding.  People change; it is unrealistic to expect your spouse to stay the same.  In a healthy relationship the people and the marriage evolve. Its what's suppose to happen through the different stages of life, in order to maturely cope.  The problem comes when one or both refuses to make those changes, insisting instead to keep things the way they were.    

When Oscar and I first got married we lived in a fairy tale bliss... LOL we traveled the world; kissed in front of the Eiffel tower in Paris, gazed into each other's eyes at the Panama Canal, held each other tight through the tulip paths in Holland and roamed carelessly admits the Guatemalan mountains. hahaha true story!
I can't even begin to tell you how much things have change since then. We still kiss, but now at the school's car-line, no more gazing though, if we are lucky we catch a quick glance of each other while passing the car keys to take the kids to soccer, we still hold each other but now its more like "hold each other up" after the exhaustion of two birthday parties!! hahaha

The point I'm trying to make... although exaggerating it a bit... LOL its that if I would take those changes
personal, I would say "you don't treat me like you use to, you are not the same man I married, why aren't you as romantic as you once were?"   Thank God for information, books and great counsel! We have been able to mature together.  I no longer yearn for the things that used to be romantic to me when we were newlyweds.  Instead, I fall more and more in love watching him be a great father to our boys. When he unloads the dishwasher?? ... now that's what I call HOT!! haha I'm not saying that we don't have romantic moments. We do, they are just different now... and that's ok. For example, I love it when I'm running late for work and I see him run after me with a bottled water because he knows that I always like to have one at hand. To me, that is more romantic than flowers any day! Keep in mind though that everyone's love language is different. You might be the romantic, flower and candy kinda person.... and your spouse must honor that. Just stay realistic in your pursue of it...  times change, finances change and people change.

That being said... the word for this post is Kindness.  Just in case you just tuned in, I'm dissecting an acronym I made up with the word ROCKS as in "Marriage ROCKS"
R- Respect
O- Optimistic
C- Christ centered
K- Kindness
S- Sincerity


For this I interviewed my husband .... He says
" my wife's kind spirit is like a magnet to my soul.  I love to be with her. Literally as soon as I step out the door of my house, I miss her.  I think the reason that is its because there is no place on earth where anyone treats me with the kindness she does.  She constantly lets me know how much she appreciates me, and everything I do.  She thanks me daily for any daily chore: taking out the garbage, fixing something, changing a light bulb... she notices.  I have to say that the way she presents me my dinner or any meal blows my mind.  She makes me feel like a king! LOL She takes great care of all details from the plate to the plates mat.  It always looks like its put together with great love and kindness even if its a ham and cheese sandwich, she makes it look and taste amazing! LOL  Lastly, no matter what comes our way she keeps a positive attitude and puts all her energy on finding a solution instead of dwelling on the problem. Oh one more thing... she makes me laugh like no one can! I love her!"

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Definitely laughed with this one!! We can relate!! Love you both~ Joel and Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! God bless you both and keep up the great work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet soul you have Millie

    ReplyDelete