Friday, January 17, 2014

Marriage R.O.C.K.S. part 4


My neighbor and I were having a conversation about certain parts of the world where people have adapted a "no marriage" vow.  She told me that in some European Countries couples simply agree to meet three times a week with no strings attached; they do not share responsibilities of any sort, nor finances.  They both have their separate lives and live separately.  They have a clear understanding that marriage will never be an option for them.  

Another shocking discovery I made was a documentary of an even more extreme case. In Japan there is a generation that refuses to get married or have children.  They believe marriage to be for the uneducated and
the poor.  The trend that they have adapted is going to places they call "cuddle cafes."  These are places where people come and pay someone to cuddle with them. It is the oddest thing I have ever heard. Two grown people lay down in what looks like a daycare cubicle and just cuddle. LOL bizarre to say the least :\  Obviously they feel the loneliness and recognize that there is a need for human interaction but they are going about it in very strange ways. lol

Sadly, what the people involved in both of the above scenarios fail to realize is that they are robing themselves of the incredible joy that comes from loving someone and having their love in return.  They will go through life without knowing what it feels like to wake up, look to your side, and see someone that loves you unconditionally and would do anything for you.  There is nothing in the world like it.  Its no wonder the Asian countries have four countries in the top ten list of suicides; i'd like to ask "How is that working for you?" There is nothing more fulfilling than human interaction and I don't mean just in marriage.

For the 20 years that my husband and I have been married, every morning we make a conscious effort to
say this to one another, "I love you today."  We started doing this on our honeymoon and we do it still.  Its funny that even during times when we have gone to bed upset (yes, that has happened a few times) haha but in the morning one of us always breakdown and says it. The one that is still really upset says "me too."  hahahaha.

However, even with all the love we have for each other, with all the things we have in common and the things we share; I can't imagine where my marriage would be if it weren't Chirst-Centered. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the ability to love and forgive. Knowing that we have to be accountable to a higher power makes all the difference in the world in order for a marriage to survive and thrive.  It is important in all phases of marriage;"I'm faithful not only because I love you, and because I respect myself, but more importantly because I live to represent a God who loved me enough to die on the cross for me." See the difference? "I forgive you because I am not perfect, and one day I might need the grace I'm extending to you today.  Also because I refuse to go through life carrying the burden of hatred in my heart; that would be a sin. But most importantly because I have a God that forgives my sins." yep.. this is how we roll in a Christ-centered marriage.  It all starts and ends with Him.

Lastly, a marriage that prays together... stays together.  Make it a point to say a short daily prayer with your
spouse.  It helps you re-focus on the fact that God is the center of your home and that without him we have/are nothing.  Don't go around wishing you had a better marriage be proactive, do something about it!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Love your blogs sister God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosanna, I'm truly enjoying sharing my journey with you! God bless you too :)

      Delete