Monday, June 10, 2013

We all need a father!



This week in honor of fathers day I would like to talk about the importance of fathers.  I myself was not fortunate enough to be raised by one, but from my husband's example I could see what a father's love does for a child.  Growing up I didn't see many friends with fathers and the ones that did have one left much to be said. Some were physically abusive, others sexually abusive, some unhappy grumpy old men that only spoke to their children to tell them to move out of the way because they were blocking the television. I can't recall one of my friends that had a dad that made me wish I had one.  Sadly, it was quite the opposite, I felt sorry for them for having one.

It wasn't until I saw tv actors as fathers that I realized what their role in the home should be.  Actors like Bill Cosby and the father from family ties opened my eyes to a whole new world.  Although the shows where "Hollywood" glamorized, the basic principals were in place.   The father was a hard working provider, a problem solver, a teacher, a loving disciplinarian and the family protector.  Wow, really?? How come I never saw one of those?? Haha Well I did in my brother in laws but by then I was an adult.

It was astonishing for me to watch a family work things out by talking; to see a father respect his children enough to ask for forgiveness when he did something wrong.   But probably the most surprising of all things was that neither of those shows used physical discipline.  What??? No (chancletas), belts, broomsticks, branches, or whatever was closest, for discipline?? Haha  I was spellbound by those fathers; I wanted one of those in my life.

And I got one; it wasn't in my younger years but he came just when I needed him the most, in my teenage years.  My step father Saul, he stepped in as a friend and won me over as a dad.  Guess what?? He was one of those TV dads that new how to talk things out! I could tell him anything from boy problems to school issues; he would listen.  I was granted my wish, a father that was a provider, protector, problem solver and teacher. He left the discipline to my mom. Lol  I was able to see for myself what a stable family should be.

Throughout the week I will talk about the importance of a father in a boy's life and in a girl's life.  Also about how our heavenly father covers those of us who didn't have a natural father to look after us as youngsters.  Enjoy your week!

How cool is this, I'm posting from the airplane from 30,000 feet up in the air!!! Lol



2 comments:

  1. I was blessed to have a wonderful daddy! He was and still remains my hero! One of his greatest lessons was when he asked for forgiveness after (justly) yelling at me! He was a proud man, but to him it was more important to treat me as God treated him, rather than his pride staying in tact! Til this day, I remember that day like no other! I lost him a couple of years ago and it is still hard. I miss him everyday. His wisdom, his infectious smile and witty sense of humor were unique!! I shall embrace him again one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were blessed! I can only imagine how much you miss him.

      Delete