Sunday, June 23, 2013

short novel "I see white clouds" PART 9


As I pulled out the letter from the envelope, the first words that jumped out at me were: “CONGRATULATIONS”

Dear Miss Priscilla

CONGRATULATIONS, on behalf of the Horticultural Department, it is with great pleasure that we offer to you the opportunity of studying under our “Give back" scholarship. Our Horticulture program is among the top ten programs in the U.S., and our plant science researchers are among the most productive in the nation.  This is a one of a kind program, one of the things that make us unique is that we use hands on learning techniques from the day you begin the program to the end.  We wish you great success in this endeavor.  We are confident we made the right choice. 

 Sincerely,
HDF
I read the letter over and over again. It was surreal, how could I have been so blessed as to have been offered such a gift. I was feeling beside myself, there were so many emotions running through me that the only reaction I could muster was to get on my knees, with my face to the floor and cry. For the first time in my adult life I prayed. I had to admit that there could not be another explanation for my life than the fact that there is a God and his hand was on me. I thanked him for watching over me, for not allowing me to die during the storm. I asked him to continue to guide me in the journey of life so that I would be able to fulfill my purpose. I prayed that his will be done in my life today and forever. I lost track of time, when I looked up at my clock it was 1:00 am. I got up from the floor and headed towards my bathroom, I noticed a shadow moving outside my door. I tried to ignore it; I went into my bathroom to get ready for bed. I was trying really hard not to look towards the door as I walked to my bed. But there was no ignoring that shadow, I could see it pacing, I heard soft footsteps. I stayed sitting up on my bed, waiting, looking, listening.  


What I heard next I hadn’t heard come from the  other side of the door before. It sounded like the sound of pages turning. I stood up quietly and took a few steps to the door; gently putting my ear on it. I could hear a tiny voice talking; it was in monotone, as if reading. I could hear it reading, and then crying, then quiet. I had to put an end to this, I had to know. I decided I’d open the door and face whatever it was. I felt confident because I knew security was watching and if I was in any danger, they would intervene. I cautiously, without making a sound, turned the door knob and opened the door slightly; just enough to peek out with one eye. Instantly I heard a shuffle, then a child’s voice weeping softly. I opened the door a little bit more, poked my head out and looked to the right and to the left of the hall way; I saw nothing. The hall way was dark; the only light was coming from a lighted exit sign on the ceiling close to my room. I stepped out into the hallway, took a few steps towards the game room. Then walked further down to the dining room and back to my room, I saw nothing. Feeling frustrated I went into my room and closed the door. I sat on my bed trying to figure out what to do next. My nightstand drawer was open and my journal was inside. I got off my bed and started looking around my room. Someone had been in my room while I was walking around. I looked inside my closet, behind my curtains, under my bed, and then towards the floor, I saw small bloody foot prints leading to my bathroom; I followed them. There appeared to be what looked like a small shadow in the back corner of my shower, I could see its silhouette through the curtain. 


I whispered, “Who’s there? You are hurt, let me help you.” After about a minute of silence a child’s voice came from behind the shower curtain and said “I’m scared.” gently pulling back the curtain, I responded “I won’t hurt you, let me see you.” Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw, my body grew weak, my chest tight, my eyes filled up with tears, I fell to my knees and began to weep. Sitting there on the corner of my shower was a fragile little girl, she was dirty, her clothes were torn, her legs, arms, and feet were bleeding. Her tiny body was trembling with fear; she had a look of terror in her eyes. I could tell this child had been suffering, hurting, and terrified for a very long time. I reached out to her, extended my arm and offered her my hand. She pulled back, wrapped her arms around her knees and squeezed tightly. Without saying a word, I sat beside her, my heart was broken, I didn’t know what to do. A few minutes passed, with the corner of my eye I could see her staring at me; I remained quiet. She slowly let go of her knees, scooted closer to me and put her little head on my shoulder. 


My heart melted, I felt a deep connection to her, as well as to her pain.  Gently, I tilted my head to touch hers and asked, "why are you here?" she began to cry softly as she said "I don't want to be afraid anymore," I responded, "allow me to help."  She took a hold of her right foot and showed me an open wound underneath it.  I asked her if she would let me take a closer look.  She nodded yes.  When I looked closely I could see this was an old wound that had not healed, it was infected.  She then showed me the wound on her right leg; it was just as bad.  There were scratches and bruises all over her body; her woulds were still bleeding.  I felt a flood of compassion rising up within me, I looked in her eyes and said "you will be fine, I will take care of you." She sat up on her knees and raised her dirty worn out blouse slightly, she let me see another wound on her side, this one was the deepest of the three.  I could see where the infection was spreading towards her back.  Her fragile body looked inflamed.  It was difficult for me to understand how she had been able to endure and tolerate so much pain.   


I took her hands in mine, helped her to her feet and walked her over to my yellow chair.  I grabbed some clean towels, poured warm water in a basin and got on my knees in front of her.  I told her that I first needed to clean the affected areas and then decide what we were
going to need to heal them.  She sat on the chair, shaking with fear, looking around the room, and then back at me.  I began with her foot wound, then her leg and lastly her side.  Every one of the wounds were still bleeding, but they each had a different level of severity; mild, average and severe infection.  Each needed to be treated differently, but healed nonetheless.  When I was donee, I looked up at her, she had tears running down her face.  She leaned forward, kissed my cheek and said "thank you." I asked her if I could give her a hug and she said I could.  Without hesitation, I wrapped my arms around her tiny body, she wrapped her arms around my neck and we both began to weep. I held her until her body stopped shaking and her crying seized.  I felt her relax, when i looked at her; she had fallen asleep in my arms.  I picked her up and laid her on my bed, tucked a warm blanket under her and kissed her forehead.  I grabbed a blanket for myself and fell asleep on my yellow chair.  When I woke up, she was gone, and so was my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment