Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Valentine Day


“It’s not going to be easy. It’s gonna be really hard.  We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you.I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day …” ~ Ryan Gosling, The Notebook

You will never guess who is reading my blog…. My son David !!!! I better watch what I say, I don’t want him thinking it’s ok for him to have a girlfriend at 17 like his daddy!!! LOL 


Ok, back to my story…. after receiving the “I like you” letter from Oscar, I was a mess! My heart melted and I didn’t know what to respond.  What I had learned from my sisters and mom was that men like women that were hard to get. So, I was not about to make this easy for him nor was I ready to allow my mom to win at this point. Lol My response to his letter went something like; “I’m glad that you like me but I like you as a friend.”  OMG, thanks for not giving up on me sweetie!!! Hahaha  To make a long story short, my mother was patient and extremely smart.  She sowed the seed and backed off. Would not ask me about Oscar nor would she talk about him.  She did however; smile every time she saw a letter from him in the mail.  The one thing that she did do was invite Oscar’s band to come perform in Ohio. This was very exciting for me, I wanted to see him and find out how I felt about him after writing to him for three months or so.  I remember being a nervous wreck! But I didn’t show it, no way!!! Lol
The day Oscar and his band arrived my mother made dinner for them.  She really out did herself to make them feel special; after all, Oscar’s mom, dad and uncle were also in the band; so I’m sure she wanted to make a good impression.  It was funny, when Oscar came into the house, we didn’t know how to greet each other, it was awkward. hahaha I think we shook hands or something weird like that. Lol  I could tell my mom was watching our every move, so I remained emotionless. (stubborn me) We had some small talk and later went to hear the band sing. OMG this was the first time I heard Oscar sing, be still my heart…. This guy is amazing!!! is what my heart was saying, my brain however was saying, stay strong don’t give in. lol
The next morning, Oscar and the band were saying their goodbyes to head back to NJ.  I was helping them carry some things to the van when Oscar stopped me, he looked really nervous.  He asked me “Millie would it be ok if I kissed you”  hahaha so adorable !!!Before I could even answer he planted me a sweet little kiss on the lips. I was shocked, looked at him and said “you are crazy.” Don’t ask me why I said that but it’s what I said :/ lol I ran upstairs to my room and smiled, laughed, screamed into my pillow, felt butterflies, I was over the moon.  Ahhhh to be a teen again.

Oscar called me as soon as he arrived in NJ, he asked me if I was mad at him.  I put on my strong face again and told him I wasn’t mad but that I didn’t expect that. I said that we would have to be officially dating for him to try something like that. Hahaha So he said, how about we start working towards that...  Ahhhhh calm down Millie!!  lol I said that I would think about it and let him know when he came for my prom in  May 1987…. This was October of 1986!!! A true test of his perseverance, if I say so myself! We continued talking on the phone and writing letters, Oscar came to visit two more times after that. Then it was May….. Oscar was in expectancy as to what I was going to say.  My parents already knew, so they were ecstatic!   The night before he arrived, I spoke to him on the phone in a cold tone as to make him think I was going to say no to becoming his official girlfriend. I was terrible!!!!

When he arrived, I looked my best! Couldn’t wait to tell him my answer, he looked sad and hurt.  I began saying something like this; “Oscar, this time of getting to know you has been great, you have help me in many ways and I want to thank you. So today, as promised, I want to tell you that I WANT TO BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!!  The biggest smile came across his face, priceless. After that, we dated for six year and got married in 1993. Till this day he has been putting up with me...lol

*Tomorrow you will hear Oscar's side of the story...don't believe a word. lol

This picture is us at prom. The other two are all the letters & cards Oscar sent me and the first Valentine's Day gift he sent me.

No comments:

Post a Comment