Friday, February 7, 2014

"Love Letter" from Rev. Gabriel Salguero




Happy Anniversary, FGAL!  Congratulations on your 1st Birthday! You are a blessing to so many women, men, and families.  May the gift of your prose and poetry; your insight and humor; and your laughter and tears, flourish in the coming years of FGAL. Thanks for sharing your story and life with us. Floreant Agni! 

FGAL, I also want to convey my deepest gratitude for the honor of sharing publicly what I treasure so deeply privately; namely, the ineffable love I have for my wife, life-partner, co-parent, lover, and best friend, Jeanette. As you know it’s not always easy to put in words what the heart and soul feels so passionately. Admittedly, these words can only scratch the surface of the love I have for Jeanette. But here goes….


Honey, can you believe we’ve known each other for 25 years (married for 12)? We met when we were both in High School. That’s right; we are and remain high school sweethearts. For me, I was instantly captured by your beauty. (Someday you can tell everybody what you first thought of me, Lol!).  For the last quarter of a century we’ve worked, played, cried, and laughed together. It’s been the ride of my life and there’s absolutely nobody else with which I rather have shared the journey. Your soft skin, radiant smile, penetrating eyes and beautiful mind have made every step all the more enjoyable. The naked truth is that you make my life more meaningful.
When I think of you the superlatives are not enough. You are more than I could’ve imagined. A powerful, strong, and confident woman who all the while is gentle, caring, and nurturing. The truth is I still am AMAZED BY YOU! I know you probably have caught me sneaking a glance while you sleep or drink tea in your study. You want to know what I’m thinking? Here goes, “I’m the luckiest man alive to be married to this woman! How was I so fortunate? You’re the greatest, and our two sons and I are blessed to have you.

The soul query remains, in the words of two of your favorite writers; Neruda and Browning; HOW DO I LOVE YOU? Our intimacy (soul, body, mind) nurtures our soul. Neruda bespeaks the mystic unity; the two have become one…  I don’t understand it but I sure know it to be true.

I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.” --Pablo Neruda

 I want to tell you, and I don’t care if the whole world knows it. If I lived a thousand lives I’d want to spend each of them with you. 
Quiero envejecer contigo, y pasar cada momento celebrando el regalo de nuestro amor. TE AMO!
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.- Elizabeth Barrett Browning (Sonnet 43)

Here’s to another wonderful 25 years!

 “You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams”. Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. I love my pastors, their love to each other is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Gabz... so worthy of celebrating! Thx for your comment :)

      Delete