Friday, May 10, 2013

A letter to my mother


Dear Mom

There is no better way for me to show you my gratitude than by the way I live my life and the choices I make.   Despite all of the adversities you have had in your life, you are the strongest woman I know. I have yet to encounter a problem that you didn't have a solution for.  The way you have lived your life has been my example for the woman I want to be.  You always put your children before yourself, sacrificing whatever it took to make sure we had what we needed.  Thank you for walking away from an abusive situation before it broke all of us.  Rest assured that it taught us how a woman should not be treated and helped us develop the self-esteem we needed to succeed in our own marriages.  You moved forward piercing fear as a single lady to raise four girls.  Failure was not an option, you believed in us and we live to make you proud.  Thank you for always making me feel like a priority in your life, the minute you didn't see me, you wanted to know where I was.  The minute you saw me, you wanted to know if I was hungry; making me feel safe and cared for.

One of my most cherished memories are of you watching me walk to school until I looked back and you looked so small that all I could see was a small arm waving goodbye as I entered the school.  When it was time to come home from school there you were, in the same corner waiting to welcome me back. As I entered the house, it always smelled like something yummy was cooking on the stove.  The stove was full of pots and pans, the sight of you singing and standing over it mixing and blending still warms my heart.  It was rare to see you sad or angry, although there were those times too.  I’m just thankful that you were selfless enough to not involve me in adult situations; by doing that you allowed me to be a child.  I believe for those reasons and many more, my three sisters and I are the women we are; strong, not easily moved, nor controlled, persistent and confident. 

Mom, you are the most compassionate and loving woman I know.  You want to see everyone prosper, even people that have betrayed you and hurt you.  I have seen you forgive and give second chances to so many that I couldn’t count if I tried.  You have touched hundreds of people with your love and compassion.  No matter in what situation they came into our house, they always left with a plan…. You would help find them jobs, homes, food, a car, or whatever it was they needed.  Mom, I have never met anyone like you and I’m blessed to have been chosen by God to be your daughter.

Mom, you are the funniest woman I know.  You can tell a story like no one can.  The entire family gathers around to hear you tell whatever it is you have to tell.  You make us laugh until we can’t breathe.  My nieces and nephews love to be around you, my kids tell their friends that their grandma is the one that starts pillow fights at our parties.  I love that about you.  I remember when we were growing up, you were the one to start the water and food fights at our house. 

You are the most adventurous woman I know. your sense of exploration is to be admired; you love life and everything nature. ( now I know where I get it) lol You don’t pass up an opportunity to spend time with us, where ever it may be.  If you have to drive or fly, you will be there.  You enjoy the family cruises we take, walking the streets of Las Vegas, oh and the Grand Canyon with you was a dream come true.   

Mom, you were not perfect, but your love for us far outweighed your imperfections.  There wasn’t a time in my life that I felt mistreated, rejected or neglected by you.  I remember sitting on your lap until I didn’t fit anymore; I can literally recall sliding off your lap and crying because I was too heavy for you to hold; I believe I was 22 at the time hahahaha.  That was a sad day. LOL 

Mom, although I have accomplished what the “world” would consider far more success than you:  a college degree, a home owner and have never lived off public assistance, I have achieved nothing if my kids can’t write a letter like this about me one day.

My prayer is that you would live to be 150 but if it please God to take you before then; I will live eternally grateful that I had you as my mother.  

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. OMG...made me cry...beautiful.. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so beautiful Millie. Margarita is an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not finished reading it because I knew I was going to cry ! Enjoy every moment with your mom. I wish I have my with me. Love , Dalmita

    ReplyDelete