Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Forever Young

Any way you put it aging it’s not a picnic in the park. We can say; 40 is the new 30, you are only as old as you feel, or age is just a number. But when it comes down to it, we can’t escape the reality of getting old.  Everyone has to face it at one point or another.  I know when I turned 40 I was surprised at the changes that followed immediately.  From one day to the next my knees hurt, I started to gain weight even when all I ate was one grape. Hahaha this is something I’ve had a problem with since I turned 20.  I remember telling my friends that since I didn’t want to leave my teens, I was going to call it twenty-teen. LOL The reality is, your body and your mind begin to give you signs.  We start to slow down, our mind is not as witty and our body starts to make crackling sounds. I think many people have trouble with accepting this change.  I’ll tell you a story my sisters are going to kill me for telling.
When my oldest sister turned (a certain age) lol, she was depressed. She didn’t want to do anything, wanted to stay in her room sleeping all day.  So, I cooked up a plan to get her out of the house and cheer her up.  I told her I made a reservation to see a formal dinner show where we had to dress as if we were going to walk the red carpet.  I also invited my other sister to come along.  Neither of them had any clue what I was up to.  The thing was that the dinner show was far from formal.  This was one of those “mid-evil times” type of dinner show.  Where people eat with their hands, sit on wood picnic tables and the floor is filled with peanuts; people dress very casual.   Hahahaha I’m horrible!!! Anyway, off we went all three of us with long gowns and bling bling everywhere.   As we parked, one of my sisters noticed a greyhound bus filled with tourist. They were all wearing shorts, jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps.   She looked at me, I thought “oh no, she’s to me” but then she says. “Look at those ridiculous tourist, they don’t know how to dress for the occasion” omg. I wanted to laugh so badly, but managed to maintain my composure.  As we walked in, every eye was on us; our high heels were cracking the peanuts on the floor like fire crackers… hahaha People thought we were part of the show.  Still my sisters didn’t get it; we sat down on picnic tables, received our half a chicken without utensils and a bowl of soup to drink without a spoon. That’s when I lost it…. I started to laugh uncontrollably; you know that belly laugh that you even have tears coming down your face.  That’s when they knew… we were laughing all evening; eating with our hands like cave women.   They didn’t talk to me for days but at least I got her out of her room! JK We had a blast!!
These are some of the strategies I plan to use as I age;
1.       Stay healthy by eating right and exercise. Being realistic that I will never have my 20 yr old body back. lol
2.       Stay sexy! Lol keep up with fashion (age appropriate) of course.
3.       Have friends from all ages; this helps us keep up with the times.
4.       Devote myself to a cause a passion.
5.       Continue to encourage young people to be all that they can be.  Be a mentor. Sow into the next generation.
6.       Never stop learning.  Take a class or a course of something that interests me.
7.       Stay close to my family, always be there for one another.
8.        Build and maintain close friendships that are around my same age.  This will help     console me; just knowing that we are all experiencing the same changes.
9.       I will do my best to choose love, joy, peace and happiness above all circumstances. 
10.   And most importantly, live a God centered life.
 
      Life is a gift and so is living long enough to make a difference in this world.  Lets make our life count. Lets not live so consumed by looking a certain way or having certain things that we don't enjoy the moment.   Lets take the time to do something for an elder; sow into our own old age.  Visit a nursing home or an elder that lives alone. Make their day, take them somewhere, make them feel special.  Life is an adventure, every stage brings its pros and cons. 
 
We can choose to enjoy the journey or live miserable fighting the inevitable.  I may not be able to stop the aging but I promise you this.... my spirit will stay,
 
 
FOREVER YOUNG .......

2 comments:

  1. not fuuuuuuunnnnnnyyyyyyyy,,,,your day will come baby,,,,

    ReplyDelete